There are five racetracks and several greyhound racing clubs in the Czech Republic. The Czech Greyhound Racing Federation (CGRF) races at the two sand tracks in the country- Praskačka greyhound track and the Greyhound Park Motol. The CGRF held 35 races in 2013.1
Races at the three remaining tracks are organized by smaller hobby clubs. All three of these tracks have grass running surfaces.
There is also an organization called the Czech Racing Federation (CDF), which was formed in 2000. The CDF actually conducts its races on the greyhound track in Isasazeg, Hungary. It held eight racing competitions in 2013.2 Unlike the CGRF, the CDF is a member of the Continental Greyhound Racing Confederation.3
According to the CGRF, there were 34 "active" racing greyhounds in the Czech Republic in 2009. Additionally, there were 200 "'retired' greyhounds brought from Ireland", although the exact role of those Irish greyhounds was unclear.4 However, at least some of the dogs currently racing in the Czech Republic were born in Ireland. There are nine greyhound breeding kennels in the Czech Republic listed on greyhound-data.com, an online database maintained by dog racing gamblers.5
There is no wagering on greyhound races in the Czech Republic. However, individuals can try to guess to results of races at the Praskačka track for a chance to win bottles of vodka.6 This activity is free.
Czech Greyhound Racing Federation, http://www.cgdf.cz/
(accessed October 7, 2014).
- "2013 termíny / race days," Czech Racing Federation, http://www.dogracing.cz (accessed October 7, 2014).
- "Members-Czech Republic," Continental Greyhound Racing Federation, 2013, http://www.cgrc.eu/czech-republic/ (accessed October 7, 2014).
- "Chrtí dostihy v České republice [Greyhound racing in Czech Republic]," Czech Greyhound Racing Federation, 2010, http://www.cgdf.cz/ (accessed October 7, 2014).
- "Greyhound breeder directory," Greyhound Data, http://www.greyhound-data.com (accessed October 7, 2014).
- "Tip na chrtí dostihové dráze Praskačka [Tip on greyhound racing track Praskačka]," Czech Greyhound Racing Federation, 2012, http://www.cgdf.cz/ (accessed October 7, 2014).